Several scientific applications require computing and/or storage resources that go beyond the processing power of a single multi-core machine. High performance computing (HPC) clusters provide the necessary hardware and software infrastructure to efficiently run computing intensive applications. The course gives an introduction to high performance computing using the HPC cluster at Vital-IT. Both theoretical as well as practical usage aspects will be covered.
• Identify limits of conventional multi-core machines (PCs) when using life science applications
• Obtain basic theoretical knowledge on high performance computing
• Learn how to use Vital-IT’s computing cluster for scientific applications (including hands-on exercises on Vital-IT’s infrastructure)
• Tips and tricks for effective and efficient cluster usage
• Discuss particular computing needs and requirements of course participants
• Basic understanding of working with command line tools on Linux or Windows-based operating systems
• Scripting language such as bash or Perl is an asset