Fellowships for advanced researchers enable young scientists planning to follow an academic career to benefit from a stay abroad in order to increase their knowledge and scientific reputation.
These fellowships for overseas visits in any discipline are supported by the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF), except experimental and clinical medicine (see below). Funding includes personal maintenance, a fixed sum for travel expenses and may include a contribution towards research and conference expenses. The amount of the fellowship is based on personal details, family obligations and cost of living in the host country and runs for a period of 12 to 36 months.
Application requirements (see fellowship rules)
- research experience: with at least one year of research activity at post-doc level (at the time the application is submitted)
- start of the fellowship: at the latest 5 years after obtaining the doctorate; exceptions possible in duly justified cases
- Swiss nationality, residence or settlement permit, cross-border commuter permit
- relation with Swiss research
- Call for applications: three months before submission deadline
Submission deadlines: 1 February and 1 August (applies for demands for a prolongation as well)
Next submission deadline: 1 February 2010 (new applications must be submitted exclusively via mySNF)
Start of the fellowship: earliest six months after submission deadline